The Board meets monthly, generally by telephone
conference, to discuss issues and projects and is involved in many activities
that promote meteorology in the private sector and that benefit the private
sector membership. Specific projects and general areas that the Board has
participated in during the past several years include:
- Reviewing nominations for the AMS Award for Outstanding
Contribution to Meteorology or Climatology and submitting a recommendation
to the Commissioner of Professional Affairs.
- Co-sponsoring Town Hall Meetings in conjunctions with
the 2001, 2002, and 2003 Annual Meetings of the AMS.
- Coordinating Short Courses in conjunction with the 2000
and 2002 Annual Meetings of the AMS.
- Sponsoring a Session on Air and Water Quality during
the 3rd AMS Symposium on Environmental Applications (2002 Annual Meeting).
- Co-sponsoring the Mid-Atlantic Winter
Storms Regional Conference, October 3-5, 2002.
- Coordinating with the AMS staff in developing the “Strategic
Plan to Improve Services for Private Sector Members of the American
- Coordinating with the AMS staff and other boards and
committees on issues such as corporate memberships, certification policies,
Society inclusiveness, the public-private sector partnership, policy forums
and colloquiums, and various conferences and meetings.