Policy Program studies and analysis expand the knowledge base on which societal decisions rest.
- AMS Community Synthesis on Innovation and Entrepreneurship in the Geosciences
This AMS Policy Program study synthesizes input on opportunities and challenges in innovation and entrepreneurship within the geosciences.
- Global Environmental Change and Workforce Need
This AMS Policy Program study explores the various ways in which global environmental change is driving the workforce, as well as how the enterprise as a whole might respond to these developments in order to most effectively advance WWC observations and science and benefit society.
- Managed Retreat: An Introduction and Exploration of Policy Options
In this study, we introduce and explore managed retreat as an adaptive strategy to climate hazards with the goal of identifying the policy options for enacting managed retreat and exploring these policies’ strengths and limitations.
- Framework for the Advancement of Inclusion, Equity, and Justice in the Weather, Water, and Climate Enterprise
The weather, water, and climate (WWC) enterprise provides science and services critical to the future of society. Here, we present a set of principles, actionable steps, and metrics to support and outline a shift towards a more inclusive, equitable, and just culture within and beyond the enterprise.
- Actionable Scientific Assessments for the Energy Sector
Understanding, accounting for, and communicating weather and climate variables is critical for the planning and optimization of the energy system. This American Meteorological Society (AMS) Policy Program study is the second of two pilot projects on the provision of actionable information for decision-making through the tailored and targeted assessment of weather and climate science.
- What's it Worth? Four Perspectives on the Valuation of the Weather, Water, Climate Enterprise
Valuation is critical to decision making at all levels. The set of studies synthesized here can contribute to a common understanding how value can be enhanced and communicated within and outside of the weather, water, and climate enterprise.
- AMS Community Synthesis on Geohealth
This American Meteorological Society Policy Program study synthesizes input from the AMS community on the various connections, gaps, and opportunities at the intersection of health, geoscience, and the Earth system.
- Three Policies Shape Enterprise Value: Minor Adjustments Could Enhance the Societal Benefit
This American Meteorological Society Policy Study examines the role that public policy plays in determining the sum societal value of Earth Observations, Science, and Services (OSS) as well as the allocation of that value and the costs of OSS production across society.
- Meeting Coastal Information Needs through Tailored Scientific Assessment
Actionable weather, water, and climate information is critical to ensuring the long-term resilience of coastal communities. This study identifies key information needs for coastal resilience and assesses the state of the relevant science.
- Where Global Warming Meets Local Decision-Making: An Introduction to the Arctic Science Policy Landscape
This AMS Program study takes stock of the state of Arctic science, its organizations, and how it is linked to some of the most discussed policy issues in the Arctic.